from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To excuse for a fault or an offense; pardon.
- transitive v. To renounce anger or resentment against.
- transitive v. To absolve from payment of (a debt, for example).
- intransitive v. To accord forgiveness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To pardon, to waive any negative feeling or desire for punishment.
- v. To accord forgiveness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To give wholly; to make over without reservation; to resign.
- transitive v. To give up resentment or claim to requital on account of (an offense or wrong); to remit the penalty of; to pardon; -- said in reference to the act forgiven.
- transitive v. To cease to feel resentment against, on account of wrong committed; to give up claim to requital from or retribution upon (an offender); to absolve; to pardon; -- said of the person offending.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To give up; resign.
- To give; grant.
- To grant free pardon for or remission of, as a wrongful act or an obligation; give up all claims for or on account of: sometimes with the thing forgiven as direct objective (accusative), preceded by the person as indirect objective (dative): as, to forgive an injury; to forgive a person his debts.
- To grant free pardon to; cease to blame or feel resentment against; restore to good will.
- Synonyms To pass over, overlook.
- Pardon, Forgive (see pardon); to excuse, let off.
- To exercise forgiveness; be lenient or forgiving.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. absolve from payment
- v. stop blaming or grant forgiveness
Middle English forgiven, from Old English forgiefan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English forgiven ("to forgive"), from Old English forġiefan ("to forgive, give up, provide"), corresponding to for- + give. Cognate with Dutch vergeven, German vergeben. (Wiktionary)