from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- v. Past participle of overblow.
- adj. Done to excess; overdone: overblown decorations.
- adj. Full of empty or pretentious language; bombastic: overblown oratory.
- adj. Past the stage of full bloom: overblown roses.
- adj. Very fat; obese.
- adj. Having been blown down or over: a pile of overblown saplings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of exaggerated importance; too heavily emphasized, hyped, etc.
- v. Past participle of overblow
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having been given more publicity than warranted; having had ascribed more importance than was justified.
- adj. Bombastic, pretentious, or excessive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Blown over, as wind or storm; hence, past; at an end.
- In the Bessemer steel process, injured by the continuance of the blast after the carbon has been removed; burnt.
- Past the time of blossoming or blooming; withered, as a flower.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. puffed up with vanity
- adj. past the stage of full bloom
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He's had his share of low points, too: the Tawana Brawley case, about which Mr. Sharpton says he has no regrets, and the Freddy's incident and the anti-Semitic flare-ups, which he calls overblown and no worse than that of Nixon and Billy Graham.
Despite what he calls overblown fears of a double-dip recession, Cardillo predicts the U.S.
Why we should be surprised anymore to find out the the “dangers” of vaccines, Alar, DDT, “global warming,” er, I mean “climate change,” to name just a few, were cooked and overblown is beyond me.
One must admire her for an overwhelming commitment to this role, especially considering the trade in overblown adolescent comic book fantasies going on around her.
You will see heroes swinging about in overblown wirework, zooming to and fro like marionettes being carried by an eight-year-old child.
Well Mr. Prime Minister, if this is "overblown" - you obviously MUST agree with it!
One of the key justifications people in the media offer for devoting so much coverage to Edwards 'haircut -- coverage that you yourself said was "overblown" -- is that it allegedly cuts against Edwards' populist campaign.
Appearing to fit the bill to Sanjana’s family is a friend of her sister’s by the name of Prem (Hrithik Roshan), whose outgoing, thrill-seeking belies his status as a big-time businessman – and for a very good reason: it turns out that this Prem, Prem Kishen, is actually an underling of the proper Prem, Prem Kumar (Abhishek Bachchan, refreshingly understated in overblown surroundings), who couldn’t arrive on time due to business commitments.
Those concerns have been called overblown by the treaty's defenders.
L-girl said ... but really, hiding your ID online seems a bit overblown. is someone going to go to the trouble of tracking me down? probably not.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.