American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Concentration of one's efforts in a given occupation or field of study.
- n. A field of specialization.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Devotion to a special branch or division of a general subject or pursuit; the characteristic pursuit or theme of a specialist; restriction to a specialty.
- n. countable speciality
- n. uncountable The concentration of one's efforts upon a particular field of study
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Devotion to a particular and restricted part or branch of knowledge, art, or science.
- n. the special line of work you have adopted as your career
- n. the concentration of your efforts on a particular field of study or occupation
“My coaching specialism is law of attraction/manifestation/power of meditation and something I refer to as 100% intention/100% surrender.”
“The loss of monopolies of knowledge and specialism is recorded in many fun books, like Parkinson's Law and The Peter Principle and One-up-man-ship.”
“Some four-year courses that lead to a master's qualification will offer two years of general study followed by two in a specialism, which is ideal for those torn between, say, civil and electrical engineering.”
“His specialism is a forensic, inevitably rather wonk-ish take on what to do next – underpinned by an optimism that defines just about all his answers.”
“She read a good deal of that kind of literature which may be defined as specialism popularised; writing which addresses itself to educated, but not strictly studious, persons, and which forms the reservoir of conversation for society above the sphere of turf and west-endism.”
“His specialism is a forensic, inevitably rather wonk-ish take on what to do next - underpinned by an optimism that defines just about all his answers.”
“Against the Left, they affirm the centrality of narrative over and against the mind-numbing 'history of medicine' the particular 'specialism' that afflicted my 'O' Level history course - which is also an admission of my age.”
“Big, shaggy, bearded, he was of the ancient and puissant type that, under the tidal wave of "specialism" is fast being swept towards the shores where live the last survivors of the Great Auk, the Dinosaur, and the Spread”
“A graduate of photography, film and TV at Napier University, Spengler's specialism in stills photography meant a lot of "experimenting in the dark room with effects the old-school way" before she was able to explore digital media.”
“The general academic education at a UTC is as important as its specialism.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘specialism’.
When I rule the planet, the undermentioned items shall all be corrrected or expunged. In some cases I don't like the item from a linguistic point of view, in others I don't like what the item repre...
Looking for tweets for specialism.