American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To look or stare angrily or sullenly. See Synonyms at frown.
- n. An angry or sullen look or stare.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To look intently or watchfully; stare angrily or threateningly; frown.
- n. An angry or threatening stare.
- n. In electricity, the light-giving body of a Nernst lamp. See Nernst lamp.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. to look intently; to stare angrily or with a scowl.
- v. look angry or sullen, wrinkle one's forehead, as if to signal disapproval
- v. look at with a fixed gaze
- n. an angry stare
- Middle English gloren, probably of Scandinavian origin; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The expression could best be described as a glower.”
“Setting his hand to the hilt of his sword, he cast the boy the kind of glower intended to help him make the right decision in short order.”
“She regarded the overdressed girl with aversion, answered her mincingly-spoken "How do you do, Marjory?" very curtly, and continued to "glower," as Mrs. Smylie described it, without saying another word.”
“Quotables: She is by no means a literary genius …. .her excessive use of the word 'glower' ...”
“It's more likely Chairman Schmidt was thinking that bigots like Wiesenfeld have more money, more glower, and more power, than gay playwrights, wimpy professors and soft-hearted peaceniks.”
“Stephen King, of course, sometimes likes to glower at the viewer of his publicity stills, fulfilling our visual expectation that this man -- this visage as feral as Neil Young under a full harvest moon -- is a true master of horror.”
“Middle-aged Polish émigrés would stop and glower at the Hollywood diktats with gloomy satisfaction: You see?”
“Other than that, Harrison-philes can check off his acting oeuvre: surprise, smirk, fury, glower, and repeat.”
“On landing, the Russian pilot is out on the tarmac giving a very suspicious glower at the outer right engine, tapping it as though it were a tuning fork to see if it sounds safe to take off again.”
“He takes marching orders from a muddled Merlin Joseph Fiennes who's all glower and no power.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘glower’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Single verbs that describe expression or emotional reaction. "He __ed" (smiled/gulped/scoffed...)
A Russian Doll word is a word that, when you remove the first and last letters, is either the empty string, or a Russian Doll word. These are all of the 6 or more letter Russian Doll words found in...
To describe facial expressions when attending to something.
Negative attributes or actions.
facial expressions, gestures, postures or attitudes that communicate specific meanings
Synonyms or funny substitutes for the word 'look'.
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
Looking for tweets for glower.