from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of torturing or executing someone by impaling them on a sharp stake.
- n. The joining of two coats of arms on one shield.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of impaling, or the state of being impaled.
- n. An inclosing by stakes or pales, or the space so inclosed.
- n. That which hedges in; inclosure.
- n. The division of a shield palewise, or by a vertical line, esp. for the purpose of putting side by side the arms of husband and wife. See Impale, 3.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of impaling, or putting to death by driving a stake through the body.
- n. The act of inclosing with stakes, or paling.
- n. A paling or hedge; an inclosure; hence, a floral inclosure or flower-cup.
- n. A piece of ground inclosed by pales; an inclosed space.
- n. In heraldry, the marshaling side by side of two escutcheons combined in one. See impale
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of piercing with a sharpened stake as a form of punishment or torture
The public "impalement" of adulterers, especially Presidential ones, is a crucifixion in which others suffer for the very sin that we guilt-ridden masses yearn to commit.
I was surprised that impalement didn't make the list.
It may be burial alive, or death by fire, or by drowning, or by impalement, or fifty other deaths.
It's not clear which Spartan plays which Roman soldier, but there promises to be a lot of beheadings, gratuitous gore, and maybe even an impalement or two.
Governments and churches had long maintained order by punishing nonconformists with mutilation, torture and gruesome forms of execution, such as burning, breaking, disembowelment, impalement and sawing in half.
Mean things: impalement, snipers, mind control, starvation, vampires, interfering avatars of dead Hollywood starlets, not getting to hear the end of the song.
Yet only a few old-fashioned "impalement artists" like Dr. Adamovich are still around.
Slicing and impalement are nothing new on this show, but did anyone else feel that those scenes were slowed down even more than usual for the finale to emphasize the icky squish and splash factor?
Throw, as he is called by his many friends and admirers in the impalement arts, is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the world's fastest and most accurate knife thrower.
The gore is plentiful with lots of decapitations, a slit throat and impalement.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.