from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stroke or blow that causes death.
- n. A destructive event or occurrence: dealt a deathblow to our hopes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A strike or blow that leads to death, especially a coup de grace
- n. Something that prevents the completion, or ends the existence of some project etc
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mortal or crushing blow; a stroke or event which kills or destroys.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A blow causing death; a mortal blow.
- n. Figuratively, something which destroys, extinguishes, or blights.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the blow that kills (usually mercifully)
death + blow (Wiktionary)