American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state or condition of being conscious.
- n. A sense of one's personal or collective identity, including the attitudes, beliefs, and sensitivities held by or considered characteristic of an individual or group: Love of freedom runs deep in the national consciousness.
- n. Special awareness or sensitivity: class consciousness; race consciousness.
- n. Alertness to or concern for a particular issue or situation: a movement aimed at raising the general public's consciousness of social injustice.
- n. In psychoanalysis, the conscious.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being conscious; the act or state of mind which distinguishes a waking from a sleeping person; the state of being aware of one's mental acts or states.
- n. Specifically Self-consciousness (which See).
- n. Perception; thought; intellectual action in general.
- n. A general phase of thought and feeling: as, the moral consciousness; the religious consciousness.
- n. An intuitive perception or persuasion; a state of being aware; an inward recognition;a feeling.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being conscious; knowledge of one's own existence, condition, sensations, mental operations, acts, etc.
- n. Immediate knowledge or perception of the presence of any object, state, or sensation. See the Note under Attention.
- n. rare Feeling, persuasion, or expectation; esp., inward sense of guilt or innocence.
- n. having knowledge of
- n. an alert cognitive state in which you are aware of yourself and your situation
- conscious + -ness (Wiktionary)
“Tribal consciousness is _revolutionary _consciousness: mutable and fluid and transforming.”
“It introduced into the national consciousness, Henry James wrote in 1879, by the national consciousness undoubtedly meaning his own as well, a certain sense of proportion and relation, of the world being a more complicated place than it had hitherto seemed, the future more treacherous, success more difficult ”
“Yet, all the while, our consciousness, _so far as we are conscious of our consciousness_, was busy with other thoughts. ”
“While not fully accepting the theory of "duplex personality," _i.e. _, active consciousness and _subliminal consciousness_ (Myers 'name for the pseudo-dormant consciousness), as having been proven, Newbold says: "Of all the theories developed from the point of independence, Mr. Myers' is the most comprehensive in its scope, is kept in most constant touch with what the author regards as facts, and displays the greatest philosophic insight. "[”
“Hereafter, then, we shall continue to use the term consciousness as descriptive of that part of our mentality which constitutes what is commonly known as the "mind"; while that mental force, which, so far as our animal life is concerned, operates through the sympathetic nerve system, we shall hereafter describe as "_sub_conscious.”
“Coming again, to our consideration of the term consciousness, we will take”
“How do different “programs,” all running at once, interact with each other to produce what we call consciousness?”
“Heinz Pagels, the esteemed theoretical physicist, once stated: "If you deny the objectivity of the world, unless you observe it and are conscious of it (as many prominent physicists have), then you end up with solipsism -- the belief that your consciousness is the only one.”
“Do any creatures other than modern-day people possess what we call consciousness?”
“I realize that the ability to have such ideas register in my consciousness is a Divine gift.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘consciousness’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
A list of words with definitions containing the phrase "which see."
*possibly* some interesting / noteworthy twitter hashtags
( randomness )
Professional copy editor
This novel by Glen Duncan, aside from being a ripping yarn and beautifully written, is just littered with words that I had to look up and discover that often his use of the word not only fitted per...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Mind or Mind Altering
( _mark, personal list, randomness )
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
I don't get it.
Looking for tweets for consciousness.