from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An open recess for holding a fire at the base of a chimney; a hearth.
- n. A structure, usually of stone or brick, for holding an outdoor fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an open hearth for holding a fire at the base of a chimney
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The part a chimney appropriated to the fire; a hearth; -- usually an open recess in a wall, in which a fire may be built.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The part of a chimney which opens into an apartment, and in which fuel is burned; in a restricted sense, a place for a fire in which the fuel is supported on andirons or is placed upon the hearth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an open recess in a wall at the base of a chimney where a fire can be built
Sorry, no etymologies found.