from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The area immediately surrounding a fireplace or hearth.
- n. A home.
- adj. At or as if at a fireside: a fireside chat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The area near a domestic fire or hearth.
- n. One's home.
- n. Home life.
- n. A supplementary meeting in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A place near the fire or hearth; home; domestic life or retirement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The side of the fireplace; the hearth; the space about a fire or hearth, considered especially as the place where a family gathers for social enjoyment.
- Fitted for the fireside; homely; intimate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. home symbolized as a part of the fireplace
- n. an area near a fireplace (usually paved and extending out into a room)
From fire + side. (Wiktionary)