American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To place or arrange on a shelf.
- v. To put away as though on a shelf; put aside: "As usual, Dixon shelved this question” ( Kingsley Amis). See Synonyms at defer1.
- v. To cause to retire from service; dismiss.
- v. To furnish or outfit with shelves.
- v. To slope gradually; incline.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To place on a shelf: as, to shelve books.
- To lay by on a shelf; put away or aside as disposed of or not needed; hence, to put off or neglect: as, to shelve a question or a claim.
- To furnish with shelves, as a room or closet.
- To slope; incline.
- To incline or tip (a cart) so as to discharge its load.
- n. A shelf or ledge.
- v. transitive to place on a shelf
- v. transitive to store, set aside, quit, or halt
- v. Wales, slang to have sex with
- n. A rocky ledge or shelf.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To furnish with shelves.
- v. To place on a shelf. Hence: To lay on the shelf; to put aside; to dismiss from service; to put off indefinitely.
- v. To incline gradually; to be slopping.
- v. hold back to a later time
- v. place on a shelf
- From (plural of) shelf. (Wiktionary)
- From shelf (on the model of such pairs as calf, calve). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The grey box on the left corner shelve is her Koli masala box.”
“TFS has a single command called shelve that copies changes to the server with a specified name.”
“Often enough, when major labels shelve debut albums or drop acts, it's no great cause for tears (except, of course, for the discarded artists).”
“An official familiar with Gen. McChrystal's thinking said the officer would likely "shelve" Gen. McKiernan's request.”
“Connie September, the acting chairwoman of the portfolio committee, welcomed the decision to "shelve" the game.”
“I can think of a few people that I'd like to "shelve" for a while. on 03/17/2010, -3/+4Replace life terms and capital punishment with suspended animation.”
“To put action to talk, she's requested that the county transpo authority "shelve" any further study of an F-line extension”
“The company has decided to "shelve" the mines project after the coal therein was found to be ofinferior”
“shelve" any of its Australian projects, although it was reviewing them in light of the RSPT and had continued its feasibility study into the Pilbara expansion.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shelve’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Key words of the Odyssey by Homer in English including all those famous repeating epitethons like
What Abt these ... :)
Looking for tweets for shelve.