American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Shelves considered as a group.
- n. Material for shelves.
- n. An incline; a slope.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Materials for shelves, or shelves collectively.
- n. The act of placing or arranging on a shelf or shelves: as, the shelving of one's books; hence, the act of putting away, off, or aside.
- n. In husbandry, an open frame fitted to a wagon or cart to enable it to receive a larger load of some light material, as hay or leaves.
- n. Sloping.
- n. A shelvy place; a bank or reef.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Sloping gradually; inclining.
- n. The act of fitting up shelves.
- n. The act of laying on a shelf, or on the shelf; putting off or aside.
- n. Material for shelves; shelves, collectively.
“With new arrivals every month, the visual installations and the product shelving is constantly updated by stylists to suggest new combinations or new purposes for each creation.”
“I also help in shelving books and pulling them for inter-library requests.”
“Using parts from IKEA as well as shelving from the local hardware, they were able to construct a sturdy and reasonable replica of the inspiration piece.”
“Though I wonder if the real explanation for that shelving is that the YA librarian was more aggressive about buying well-reviewed graphic novels, just to make sure they got into the collection.”
“The new house has a lot of built in shelving and these things are very heavy where moving is paid for by the pound.”
“The concept of "shelving" - setting code aside for peer review or testing before checking it back into the main line-has become a reality in Perforce Software Configuration Management System 2009.2, which went live on Dec. 31.”
“Perhaps it is just this separation in shelving that might be part of the reason for the disparity in sales and why those reading YA don’t seem to be graduating to the adult section later in life, as they’ve never formed the habit of looking in the SF section, just as the adults quit browsing the YA section a long time ago.”
“If you’re the type who leaves things behind and lets things accumulate unattended — basically, a household procrastinator — then no amount of storage bins or shelving is going to change your behaviour.”
“The film’s distributors and critics alike mostly succeeded in shelving “Punishment Park” after its release because of its raw emotional power.”
“The shelving was a cold splash of water on the faces of its small but rabid fan base, which soon turned its Tumblr-powered devotion into an action center dedicated to convincing the network to bring the series back.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shelving’.
"Bookselling was and is for me a cultural and political expression, an expression of progressive change, of challenge to oppressive authority, of a search for a community of values that can act as ...
Looking for tweets for shelving.