from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Injurious to physical, mental, or moral health; unhealthy.
- adj. Suggestive of disease or degeneracy: an unwholesome pallor.
- adj. Offensive or loathsome.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not wholesome; unfavorable to health; insalubrious; unhealthy; as, unwholesome air; unwholesome food.
- adj. Not sound; diseased; tainted; impaired; defective.
- adj. Indicating unsound health; characteristic of or suggesting an unsound condition, physical or mental; repulsive; offensive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not wholesome; unfavorable to health; insalubrious; unhealthful: as, unwholesome air; unwholesome food.
- Not sound; diseased; tainted; impaired; defective.
- Indicating unsound health; characteristic of or suggesting an unsound condition, physical or mental; hence, repulsive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. detrimental to physical or moral well-being
Sorry, no etymologies found.
She had been a soldier's wife, and had seen the world; infirmity, induced by fevers caught in unwholesome quarters, had come on her before its time, and she seldom moved from her little cot.
It could be recalled that the apex bank had last year August embarked on banking reforms that swept some new and old generation banks off their feet and had their Chief Executive officers fired over what it described as unwholesome banking practices bordering on alleged illegal acquisition of loans, shares and procedures.
What Greek teaching reached their minds was almost wholly that of the _ludi scenici_; and I must now say a word in conclusion about this unwholesome influence -- unwholesome, that is, so far as it affected the old religious ideas.
But 't is called unwholesome to get a house full o 'damp in the fall o' the year; 't will freeze an 'thaw in the walls all winter.
Meanwhile, the Jos branch of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), has described as unwholesome, unconstitutional and parochial, the resolution of the Federal House of Representatives which directed the management of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to redeploy corps members posted to Plateau State to other states.
Compassion is the desire that living beings be free of suffering and its causes, such as unwholesome actions.
Thank you for such a smart dissection of an article like this, which I agree contributes to the kind of unwholesome blogosphere folderol that I try to avoid on my own blog.
Now, in 2004, WC has associated itself with a movie that includes such "unwholesome" activities as; pot smoking, sex, and sexual perversion …Such dissonance is not lost on the company.
And if so, that suggests to me that there's something kind of unwholesome, perhaps, at work in all of this.
Indeed, the other words, "unwholesome" and "poison," had no meaning whatever for him; he was in the same condition as the boy who told the story of Philip and his doctor.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.