Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Placed in or occupying a position directly opposite or over against; opposite.
- Of an opposite or contrary nature, tendency, or action: as, white is opposed to black.
- Antagonistic; hostile; adverse: as, I am more opposed than ever to the proposal.
- adj. Acting in opposition; opposing.
- adj. Being, of having an opponent; not unopposed.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of oppose.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. characterized by active opposition.
- adj. acting in opposition to.
- adj. being in opposition or having an opponent
“Judaism herein opposed is not that of the earlier Epistles, which upheld the law and tried to join it with faith in Christ for justification.”
“So a 5 or 6-year-old, for example, you're asking about being bombed is something that they -- it just becomes a part of what they know as opposed to somebody who is in their 30s or 40s, they recognize that it might be an isolated event, they're able to move on from it much more quickly.”
“Liberal is originally a term opposed to narrow and restricted, and a liberal education might properly be contrasted with the very narrow bread-and-butter kind that aims at the mastery of art without theory.”
“I assume you're saying the list of those opposed is much larger.”
“The red state Democrats, plus Lieberman, are IMHO unlikely to be moved by that, the red staters for self-interest (they like to be distinguished/opposed from the rest of their party), and Lieberman for spite.”
“Dr T. anything the west opposed is good for China.”
“I agree with Arcamedies (sp?), PETA will remain opposed to hunting (until the members get hungry enough to hunt).”
“We remain opposed to the current bill, and we continue to meet several times a day to decide how we're going to proceed and what amendments we will be offering as Blue Dogs on the committees," said Rep. Mike Ross, D-Arkansas.”
“The GOP gets it and is right to be opposed from a political standpoint.”
“I am philosophically opposed from the main thrust of this post.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘opposed’.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for opposed.