from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Consisting of or resembling sinews.
- adj. Having many sinews; stringy and tough: a sinewy cut of beef.
- adj. Lean and muscular. See Synonyms at muscular.
- adj. Strong and vigorous: sinewy prose.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Tough; having strong sinews.
- adj. Having or showing nervous strength.
- adj. possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, consisting of, or resembling, a sinew or sinews.
- adj. Well braced with, or as if with, sinews; nervous; vigorous; strong; firm; tough.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of a sinew; resembling a sinew; forming a sinew; tendinous: as, sinewy fibers; a sinewy muscle, in which the tendinous part is conspicuous.
- Having strong sinews; hence, muscular; strong; brawny; robust.
- Pertaining to or due to physical strength; hence, stout, strong, or vigorous in any way.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of a person) possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful
- adj. consisting of tendons or resembling a tendon
- adj. (of meat) full of sinews; especially impossible to chew
Sorry, no etymologies found.