American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Consisting of or resembling sinews.
- adj. Having many sinews; stringy and tough: a sinewy cut of beef.
- adj. Lean and muscular. See Synonyms at muscular.
- adj. Strong and vigorous: sinewy prose.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the nature of a sinew; resembling a sinew; forming a sinew; tendinous: as, sinewy fibers; a sinewy muscle, in which the tendinous part is conspicuous.
- Having strong sinews; hence, muscular; strong; brawny; robust.
- Pertaining to or due to physical strength; hence, stout, strong, or vigorous in any way.
- adj. Tough; having strong sinews.
- adj. figuratively Having or showing nervous strength.
- adj. of a person possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to, consisting of, or resembling, a sinew or sinews.
- adj. Well braced with, or as if with, sinews; nervous; vigorous; strong; firm; tough.
- adj. (of a person) possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful
- adj. consisting of tendons or resembling a tendon
- adj. (of meat) full of sinews; especially impossible to chew
“I intend to discuss just that in sinewy masculine prose.”
“The style of its wines—sometimes described as sinewy and linear, with aromas of raspberry or earthy notes—taste like no other and, in terms of a comparison scale, they are a long way from Australia's Barossa Shiraz.”
“It was what might be termed a sinewy, knotty strength, of the kind we ascribe to lean and wiry men, but which, in him, because of his heavy build, partook more of the enlarged gorilla order.”
“Soror is best known for her electrifying and primordial forests, "ancient trees," and bodacious flowers, but she also makes avatar adornments such as sinewy and curvilinear antlers, and brightly colored jewelry.”
“Books that length struggle to find a publisher these days, so this kind of sinewy masterpiece is a dying art-form.”
“Again, the unabridged dictionary gives "sinewy" as its first definition of "nervous.”
“The muted red, gray and off-white mottled surface of the former brings to mind the texture of sinewy muscles; the monochromatic black installs a simple elegance on the latter.”
“At 6-foot-8 inches, the sinewy Mr. Banks looks more like who he is, a basketball player with potential to play for an NBA team.”
“A more urgent feel is quickly apparent when the opener's church-music solemnity is followed by a snare-drum tattoo and the pianist's rolls and swerves on the sinewy Playing.”
“Writers marveled over Strawberry's sinewy grace and Dwight Gooden's 98-mph heater, yet those within the game knew that the Kid—a 6-foot-2, 205-pound statue of a man—was as gifted as anyone.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sinewy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Obscure classic English words in Wuthering Heights you barely understand till you check the dictionary out.
SAS Gr. 7 EAL Book Read
words of diversity
Includes any intangible conceivable independently of Hom. Sap.
A list of words that I stumbled upon while reading.
"Words are very..."
The above was the original description for this list. Unfortunately, it doesn't convey much about the list contents.
I'm leaving you to draw your own conclusions abo...
Nowhere else to put these yet.
Looking for tweets for sinewy.