from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Physically strong and healthy: "It required an immediate end to welfare for the able-bodied poor” ( David A. Stockman).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a sound, strong body; physically competent; robust; fit for service.
- adj. Capable of performing all requisite duties, as a seaman, specifically in the Royal Navy a rating between leading and ordinary.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a sound, strong body; physically competent; robust.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a sound, strong body; having strength sufficient for physical work: as, a dozen able-bodied men; an able-bodied sailor. In a ship's papers abbreviated to A. B.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a strong healthy body
Sorry, no etymologies found.