American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Physically strong and healthy: "It required an immediate end to welfare for the able-bodied poor” ( David A. Stockman).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a sound, strong body; having strength sufficient for physical work: as, a dozen able-bodied men; an able-bodied sailor. In a ship's papers abbreviated to A. B.
- adj. Having a sound, strong body; physically competent; robust; fit for service.
- adj. nautical Capable of performing all requisite duties, as a seaman, specifically in the Royal Navy a rating between leading and ordinary.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having a sound, strong body; physically competent; robust.
- adj. having a strong healthy body
“If he hadn’t joined up, he could have been drafted anyway In April 1862 the conscription laws came into effect, allowing Confederate marshals to round up able-bodied men from eighteen to forty-five and their definition of able-bodied was fairly elastic, handcuff them, and march them off to fight.”
“Even men of good will were blinded by the fantasy of “sturdy beggars,” that is, the able-bodied poor, men unwilling to earn an honest living.”
“Unlike in many other wars, when majorities of able-bodied men readily volunteered to fight for a cause, and despite loud and sustained calls by government officials for American men to enlist in the military, most Americans during World War II were less than eager to make the ultimate sacrifice of citizenship when called upon to do so.”
“His eye captures vulnerable moments of both the old and the young, the able-bodied and the handicapped, people hard at work, those busy with play, and those who, untethered, exist somewhere in between.”
“During that time, almost every able-bodied male served.”
“Welfare reform in Wisconsin which required all able-bodied individuals to work for their benefits reduced welfare rolls by 90%.”
“Rental support for the able-bodied should expire after five years, the fuse most states have adopted for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families.”
“The South African ran in the semifinals of his best event against able-bodied athletes Monday at Daegu Stadium, but he finished dead last in 46.19 seconds — .80 slower than his qualifying time a day earlier.”
“Not many progressives are losing sleep over the lack of safety net robustness for 23 year-old, able-bodied slackers.”
“Every able-bodied man and woman should be part of the effort.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘able-bodied’.
aa gets over 40 hits
aardvark 49 hits
abbatoir 103 hits
abjure 138 hits
Sounds like you are .........
First position in adj 'young' noun band names formula
Looking for tweets for able-bodied.