American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One of a row of upright pointed sticks forming a fence; a pale.
- n. Pointed sticks used in making fences; pales.
- n. A fence made of pales or pickets.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Pales or stakes collectively.
- n. A fence formed by connecting pointed vertical stakes by horizontal rails above and below; a picket fence; hence, in general, that which incloses or fences in; in the plural, pales collectively as forming a fence.
- n. Stripes on cloth resembling pales.
- n. The putting of the stripes called pales on cloth.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Pales, in general; a fence formed with pales or pickets; a limit; an inclosure.
- n. obsolete The act of placing pales or stripes on cloth; also, the stripes themselves.
- n. a fence made of upright pickets
“I sometimes, indeed, receive a male visitor, at the other side of the paling, which is my grille; but to change my way of life is a dream that does not trouble me.”
“It was surrounded on three sides by a dyke of stones and sod, topped by a gray and uncertain paling.”
“Next to your lordly wall, in dignity of enclosure, comes your close-set wooden paling, which is more objectionable, because it commonly means enclosure on a larger scale than people want.”
“Senar ditandai dari yang paling tipis ke yang paling tebal, artinya senar 1 itu adalah senar yang paling tipis alias paling bawah, sedangkan senar 6 adalah senar yang paling tebal alias yang paling atas.”
“Enough ..... interest in her is certainly "paling".”
“Before it is a little garden with flowers, and a paling which is painted.”
“Hawkins put up the first "paling" fence that had ever adorned the village; and he did not stop there, but whitewashed it.”
“Her weapon is the nasty, snide attack -- on Obama for "paling around with terrorists," on all liberals as un-American, on critics as "limp, impotent members of of the old boys club" who lack "cajones.”
“Golkar mengklaim bahwa partai golkar adalah partai yg paling berhasil mereformasi diri.”
“In the rear, a gate through a low paling fence led to a snug, squat bungalow, built in the California Spanish style and seeming to have been compounded directly from the landscape of which it was so justly a part.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘paling’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Words as I learn them.
A list of words whose meanings I am learning, either because a) I don't know the meaning b) I know the meaning, but could stand to better appreciate certain inflections or secondary meanings or c) ...
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Words gathered while reading Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov.
by Stephen Fry
Looking for tweets for paling.