from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A light, close-fitting, brimless cap sometimes worn indoors.
- n. A yarmulke.
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Scutellaria, having clusters of two-lipped flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small domed cap that covers from the forehead to just above the back of the neck.
- n. A yarmulke-like hat worn as an element of ghetto fashion.
- n. Any of several species of flowering plants, of the genus Scutellaria, in the Lamiaceae family.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cap which fits the head closely; also, formerly, a headpiece of iron sewed inside of a cap for protection.
- n. Any plant of the labiate genus Scutellaria, the calyx of whose flower appears, when inverted, like a helmet with the visor raised.
- n. The Lophiomys.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Any cap fitting closely to the head; also, the iron cap of defense. See skull, 4.
- n. The sinciput; the upper domed part of the skull, roofing over the brain; the calvarium. See cut under cranium.
- n. A murine rodent quadruped of the family Lophiomyidæ.
- n. A plant of the genus Scutellaria: so called from the helmet-like appendage to the upper lip of the calyx, which closes the mouth of the calyx after the fall of the corolla.
- n. A thin stratum of compact limestone lying at the base of the Purbeck beds, and underlain by a shelly limestone locally known as roach, forming the uppermost division of the Portland series, as this portion of the Jurassic is developed in the so-called Isle of Portland, England.
- n. In entomology, the upper part of the integument of the head, including the front and vertex.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the dome of the skull
- n. a herbaceous plant of the genus Scutellaria which has a calyx that, when inverted, resembles a helmet with its visor raised
- n. rounded brimless cap fitting the crown of the head
skull + cap (Wiktionary)