from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Containers for a traveler's belongings.
- n. The cases and belongings of a traveler.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The bags and other containers that hold a traveller's belongings.
- n. The contents of such containers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which is lugged; anything cumbrous and heavy to be carried; especially, a traveler's trunks, baggage, etc., or their contents.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Anything to be carried that is cumbersome and heavy.
- n. Baggage; especially, a traveler's baggage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cases used to carry belongings when traveling
Probably lug2 + (bag)gage.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1590s, lug (“drag”) + -age (“(noun)”) – literally “that which is lugged, dragged around”. Duplicate -g- is to clarify pronunciation of the vowel ‘u’ (which is pronounced unchanged from lug). Compare baggage. (Wiktionary)