American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A container for holding or carrying miscellaneous items, especially a traveling case or bag.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A portable bag or case used in traveling, etc., for holding miscellaneous articles.
- n. A large bag for carrying things whilst travelling.
- n. figuratively A book or similar printed work containing a wide variety of information. Compare to omnibus, encyclopedia.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a capacious bag or basket.
- n. a capacious bag or basket
- From hold + all (Wiktionary)
“Toxicology tests on man found dead in holdall in London flat come back negative”
“I pray that she and our two children are OK, quickly pick my holdall off the carousel, nip to the bathroom to wipe my face, and call her back.”
“He preferred to work in his rented room in Chiswick, visiting libraries around London with a large canvas holdall stuffed with papers, books, a crumpled jersey, raincoat, and a fresh loaf.”
“He claimed to occupy a chair near the back door and possess one small holdall containing all his personal possessions!”
“Pages were missing from the Filofax belonging to the victim and clothes had been put into a holdall, the court heard.”
“The Alto holdall photographed with Angelina Jolie in Cambodia for a new Louis Vuitton advertisement appears originally to have cost in the region of £850-£950, having belonged to the actor for several years.”
“The holdall is due to be reissued soon, but the company says it will not give an advance indication of the price.”
“He was, with Hunt, examining a cylindrical stasis module the size of a holdall.”
“Inside this holdall, carrying everything you can think of even the Holocaust, there's a play struggling to get out.”
“The 31-year-old's naked and decomposing body was found in a padlocked holdall in the bath of his flat in Pimlico, central London, on 23 August.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘holdall’.
Stuff that holds other stuff.
Words I should learn/I want to learn/I just learned, with a quotation to help the medicine go down.
Looking for tweets for holdall.