from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reference book containing an alphabetical list of words, with information given for each word, usually including meaning, pronunciation, and etymology.
- n. A book listing the words of a language with translations into another language.
- n. A book listing words or other linguistic items in a particular category or subject with specialized information about them: a medical dictionary.
- n. Computer Science A list of words stored in machine-readable form for reference, as by spelling-checking software.
- n. Computer Science An electronic spelling checker.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A reference work with a list of words from one or more languages, normally ordered alphabetically and explaining each word's meaning and sometimes containing information on its etymology, usage, translations, and other data.
- n. An associative array, a data structure where each value is referenced by a particular key, analogous to words and definitions in a physical dictionary.
- v. To look up in a dictionary
- v. To add to a dictionary
- v. To appear in a dictionary
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A book containing the words of a language, arranged alphabetically, with explanations of their meanings; a lexicon; a vocabulary; a wordbook.
- n. Hence, a book containing the words belonging to any system or province of knowledge, arranged alphabetically
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A book containing either all or the principal words of a language, or words of one or more specified classes, arranged in a stated order, usually alphabetical, with definitions or explanations of their meanings and other information concerning them, expressed either in the same or in another language; a word-book; a lexicon; a vocabulary: as, an English dictionary; a Greek and Latin dictionary; a French-English or an English-French dictionary.
- n. Synonyms Glossary, Lexicon, etc. See vocabulary.
- Pertaining to or contained in a dictionary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reference book containing an alphabetical list of words with information about them
Medieval Latin dictiōnārium, from Latin dictiō, dictiōn-, diction; see diction.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Medieval Latin dictionarium, from Latin dictionarius, from dictio ("speaking"), from dictus, perfect past participle of dīcō ("speak") + -arium ("room, place"). (Wiktionary)