from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lexicon, vocabulary, or dictionary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dictionary or other reference book that lists words; a lexicon, vocabulary.
- n. The libretto of an opera.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A collection of words; a vocabulary; a dictionary; a lexicon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A book containing words with their explanations, arranged in alphabetical or other regular order; a vocabulary; a dictionary; a lexicon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a reference book containing words (usually with their meanings)
1590, from word + book. Cognate with West Frisian wurdboek ("dictionary"), Dutch woordenboek ("dictionary"), German Wörterbuch ("dictionary"), Swedish ordbok ("dictionary"), Danish ordbog ("dictionary"). (Wiktionary)