from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An expansible bag for holding gas.
- n. Slang One given to empty or boastful talk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bag or bladder to hold a reservoir of gas, as in a hot-air balloon.
- n. Metaphorically, a person who is overly garrulous or prone to making empty, unsupportable statements.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a person who talks a great deal about uninteresting topics.
- n. the bag containing the gas in a balloon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bag for holding gas, as for the use of dentists or for a limelight.
- n. A cylindrical bag of some gas-tight material fitted with a tube and valve so that it can be filled with air from an air-pump.
- n. A boastful, loquacious person; a conceited gabbler.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a boring person who talks a great deal about uninteresting topics
- n. the bag containing the gas in a balloon
The loud-mouthed gasbag is obviously awakening to the fact that his influence, his credibility and his future livelihood is threatened by the fact that he will soon be proven wrong.
None of my money goes to the RNC while this gasbag is still there.
This is why Rush is called a gasbag in the first place.
Therefore I'm fine with him being discribed as a 'gasbag'.
By April 2006, I was sick of hearing people marvel at what a good speaker he was and called him a "gasbag":
Following up myself at 43, it would be cool to mount a “callingallwingnuts” style campaign to call the gasbag’s show (or any conservative gasbag’s show, for that matter) and ask on the air, “In light of your (Rush’s) oxycontin problem and its resolution, would you be in favor of decriminalizing drug possession and offering treatment instead of jail time?”
Digby wants you to meet the right wing's newest, most famous "gasbag,"
Meanwhile, the government-run heathcare that Clinton received gave him the very treatment this gasbag says government-healthcare might deny.
In the updated version of the story, the reporter dropped John Major in favor of a whopper by our own gaffe-prone gasbag of a Vice-President, Joe Biden.
Billionaire gasbag “T Boone” Pickens has made a bold attempt over the last year to transform his image of oil-greased rightwing godfather to grandfatherly wind energy guru, endlessly blowing his hot air at bipartisan audiences in Washington (and reminding everyone outside the beltway that money can buy you anything in the Imperial City, even a new personae)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.