from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A native or inhabitant of Gascony.
- adj. Of or relating to Gascony, the Gascons, or their language or culture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A braggart; a bully.
- adj. Of or relating to Gascony.
- adj. braggart; swaggering
- proper n. The dialect of the Occitan language spoken in Gascony.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Gascony, in France, or to the Gascons; also, braggart; swaggering.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native of Gascony, a former province of southwestern France, now divided into several departments.
- n. A boaster or braggart; a vain-glorious person: from the reputation of the Gascons as a race for extreme boastfulness. See gasconade.
- n. The common saurel or horse-mackerel, Trachurus trachurus.
French, from Latin Vasconēs, the Basques.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Anglo-Norman gascoign, gascun et al., Middle French gascon, from Latin plural Vascōnēs. Compare Basque. (Wiktionary)