Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A glorying or vaunting; boastful or ostentatious words; bragging language.
- n. Synonyms Brag, bravado, bluster, swagger, swaggering, vainglory, rodomontade, parade, vaporing, rant.
- n. In masonry, the process of dressing the surface of a stone with a broad chisel and mallet.
- n. In sculpture and carving, the act of cutting a stone roughly with a boasting-chisel, so as to give it the general contour of a statue or an ornament. Also called scabbling.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of glorying or vaunting; vainglorious speaking; ostentatious display.
- n. speaking of yourself in superlatives
“Fresh from the garden it might have been once, but then it was preserved, processed, packaged, plastered with a label boasting how fresh it is then finally sent to wait for you in your supermarket.”
“He also bankrolled Tennessee’s popular annual music festival, Bonnaroo, and cofounded ATO Records, a label boasting My Morning Jacket, David Gray, and Liz Phair.”
“You get a modest pre-game overview with quotes from players and fans, stats for each quarter, the post-win boasting, the press conference interviews for each game and final trophy ceremony.”
“I apologized if I missed the humor in boasting about being unemployed and taking psych courses.”
“I know the rank and file believe the boasting from the front office that they are going to win so many seats this fall they will win back Congress, but I tell you, I just don't see it.”
“It's discouraging to see how many "book people" (at least one assumes that's what they consider themselves to be) take pride in boasting their scorn for a magnificent novel.”
“Newmania said ... anon they probably work for the state which as the New Statesman was proudly boasting is better paid than its private opposite numbers now.”
“Or consider renting one for the day at any sporting-good store (watch for signs boasting "fiets," the Dutch word for bike).”
“Newton elected to write his already difficult Principia Mathematica in Latin, boasting that this would make it even less accessible to the vulgar.”
“Kaysar is playing the classic loser game in boasting about his pride and dignity after appearing on a reality show and losing it TWICE.”
‘boasting’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for boasting.