from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal A somewhat eccentric man, especially an old one.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An amusingly eccentric or grumpy and usually elderly man.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A miser or mean person.
- n. A singular or odd person; -- a familiar, humorous, or depreciatory appellation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mean, miserly man.
- n. An old fellow; an odd person; a character: usually with old: as, a rum old codger.
- n. A fellow; a chap: a familiar term of address, used in a slighting way.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. used affectionately to refer to an eccentric but amusing old man
Perhaps alteration of obsolete cadger, peddler; see cadge.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)