from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The revenue-producing part of a cargo.
- n. The total weight of passengers and cargo that an aircraft carries or can carry.
- n. The total weight of the instruments, crew, and life-support systems that a spacecraft carries or can carry.
- n. The passengers, crew, instruments, or equipment carried by an aircraft, spacecraft, or rocket.
- n. The explosive charge carried in the warhead of a missile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. That part of a cargo that produces revenue
- n. The total weight of passengers, crew, equipment, and cargo carried by an aircraft or spacecraft
- n. That part of a rocket, missile, propelled stinger, or torpedo that is not concerned with propulsion or guidance, such as a warhead or satellite.
- n. The functional part of a computer virus rather than the part that spreads it
- n. The actual data in a data stream
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The part of a missile or torpedo that carries the explosive charge.
- n. The goods carried by a large vehicle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. goods carried by a large vehicle
- n. the front part of a guided missile or rocket or torpedo that carries the nuclear or explosive charge or the chemical or biological agents
pay + load (Wiktionary)