from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A commercial establishment for processing or selling milk and milk products.
- n. A place where milk and cream are stored and processed.
- n. A dairy farm.
- n. The dairy business; dairying.
- adj. Of, for, or relating to milk or milk products: the dairy section at the grocery store.
- adj. Of or relating to dairying.
- adj. Judaism Of, relating to, or intended for the consumption or preparation of milk or milk products exclusively, as dictated by dietary law.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A place, often on a farm, where milk is processed and turned into products such as butter and cheese.
- n. A shop selling dairy products.
- n. Products produced from milk.
- n. A corner-store, superette or 'mini-mart' of some description.
- adj. referring to products produced from milk.
- adj. referring to the milk production and processing industries
- adj. on food labelling, containing fats only from dairy sources (e.g. dairy ice cream)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The place, room, or house where milk is kept, and converted into butter or cheese.
- n. That department of farming which is concerned in the production of milk, and its conversion into butter and cheese.
- n. A dairy farm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That branch of farming which is concerned with the production of milk, and its conversion into butter and cheese.
- n. A house or room where milk and cream are kept and made into butter and cheese.
- n. A shop where milk, butter, etc., are sold.
- n. A dairy-farm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a farm where dairy products are produced
It might also not be a bad idea to drop the word "dairy."
When were growth hormones an issue in dairy foods and meats?
The ability to digest the milk sugar lactose first evolved in dairy farming communities in central Europe, not in more northern groups as was previously thought, finds a new study led by UCL (University College London) scientists published in the journal PLoS Computational Biology.
It is interesting to note that worldwide, India ranks first in dairy production followed by the United States.
This tianguis booth specializes in dairy products with clotted cream in covered plastic glasses, many kinds of cheese and a bowl of golden milk custard.
This tianguis booth specializes in dairy products with clotted cream in covered plastic glasses, many kinds of cheese and a bowl of golden milk custard. These traveling Mexican markets offer an astonishing variety of mercandise. © Daniel Wheeler, 2009
Then Sopo, where the main dairy plant in this region exists (Antioquia has more dairy than Cundinamarca has, but I learned nothing of the paisa production).
The main dairy production in our part of the country is out of Alpina, in Sopo.
You know, I'm betting these would be a great entertain-the-kids activity to do over the summer holidays - depending on how young they are, the full fat dairy is actually beneficial - and they can make fun shapes out of the dough that are all their own!
He talks about the antibiotics in dairy, the steroids in meat, the mercury in fish.
That means I've been able to help people with dairy protein allergies, vegans, those who want to keep kosher, and others who want to reduce, limit, or eliminate dairy from the diet.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.