American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not one: "Frequently, measures of major import . . . glide through these chambers with nary a whisper of debate” ( George B. Merry).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A corruption of ne'er a, never a (the article being sometimes erroneously repeated after the word in which it is contained).
- adj. not one
- adj. (used with singular count nouns) colloquial for `not a' or `not one' or `never a'
- Variant form of ne'er a. (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of ne'er a. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This or'nary is goin 'to be kept decent as long as I keep it.”
“Didn't agree with his daughter, the air there, or something, and he says he couldn't be at the bother of two establishments without a housekeeper in nary one of 'em.”
“Yet, nary a word about the number of unborn children that die each year at the hands of health care providers.”
“You know, back in the day, I had a certain sympathy for Democrat Steve Cohen (TN-09): back in 2008 he had been targeted for being a Jew by primary challenger Nikki Tinker, with nary a word of objection made by then Senator and now-President Barack Obama, who Cohen enthusiastically supported.”
“Why is there always blog after blog from John King and his show and nary a word about GPS which has to be the best NEWS hour on CNN?”
“Alas, it sits here accusingly beside me, nary a word of it having been transcribed into type.”
“And nary a word on the subject of same-sex marriage bills.”
“The anything-but-not-a-public-option medical “reform” was/is touted highly by insurance companies … with nary a word of publicised protest.”
“And the mushrooming of the USA defence budget has been encouraged by arms manufacturers .. with nary a word of publicised protest.”
“As a result, the catastrophic breakdown of the wall between investment and commercial banks was pushed through by financial lobbyists … with nary a word of publicised protest.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nary’.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Words that make other words with the addition of one letter at the beginning. The resulting words are tagged "behead".
mostly from magoosh
words for a play
Looking for tweets for nary.