from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A factory or manufacturing plant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Manufacture.
- n. A building or place where anything is manufactured; a factory.
- adj. Pertaining to manufacturing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to manufacturing; employed in manufacturing: as, a manufactory operation.
- n. The act of manufacturing; manufacture.
- n. A building in which goods are manufactured; more generally, any place where articles for use or consumption are regularly made: more comprehensive in scope than factory. See factory, 4.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a plant consisting of one or more buildings with facilities for manufacturing
Probably manufact(ure) + -ory.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin manūfactus + -ory. (Wiktionary)