from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An establishment where metal is melted and poured into molds.
- n. The skill or operation of founding.
- n. The castings made by founding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A facility that melts metals in special furnaces and pours the molten metal into molds to make products. Foundries are usually specified according to the type of metal dealt with, as iron foundry, brass foundry, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act, process, or art of casting metals.
- n. The buildings and works for casting metals.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The easting of metals.
- n. An establishment for the founding of metallic articles: as, a foundry of bells or of cannon; a type-foundry.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. factory where metal castings are produced
From French fonderie. (Wiktionary)