from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A blacksmith's shop; a forge. Also called smithery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The location where a smith (particularly a blacksmith) works, a forge.
- v. to forge, especially by hand
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The workshop of a smith, esp. a blacksmith; a smithery; a stithy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The workshop of a smith, especially of a worker in iron; a forge.
- To forge in a blacksmith's fire or shop.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a workplace where metal is worked by heating and hammering
Middle English, from Old Norse smidhja.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old English smiþþe, from Proto-Germanic *smiþjōn, whence also Old Norse smiðja. (Wiktionary)