from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A building for storing threshed grain.
- n. A region yielding much grain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A storage facility for grain or sometimes animal feed.
- n. A fertile, grain-growing region.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A storehouse or repository for grain, esp. after it is thrashed or husked; a cornhouse.
- n. A region fertile in grain; in this sense, equivalent to breadbasket, used figuratively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A storehouse or repository for grain after it is threshed, or for maize in the ear; a corn-house.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a storehouse for threshed grain or animal feed
Latin grānārium, from grānum, grain; see gr̥ə-no- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From grain + -ary or from Latin grānārium. (Wiktionary)