from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A building that accommodates a military guard.
- n. A jail for the detention of military personnel guilty of minor offenses or awaiting court-martial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The building housing military police
- n. A small security station, often at the entrance to a facility or a city.
- n. A military prison
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A building which is occupied by the guard, and in which soldiers are confined for misconduct; hence, a lock-up.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A building in which a military guard is stationed for the care of prisoners confined in it and for the relief of sentries.
- n. A place for the temporary detention of civil prisoners under guard.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a military facility that serves as the headquarters for military police and in which military prisoners can be detained
Sorry, no etymologies found.