from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place, such as a pantry or cellar, where food is stored.
- n. A supply of food.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a cool room in a domestic house where food is stored; a pantry
- n. a food supply
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A room or place where meat and other articles of food are kept before they are cooked.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A room in which bacon and other meats are kept or salted; hence, a depository of provisions in general for a household; a pantry.
- n. The stock of provisions in a house; provisions as served.
- n. Slaughter.
- n. One who lards, as meat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small storeroom for storing foods or wines
- n. a supply of food especially for a household
Middle English, from Anglo-Norman, from Medieval Latin lārdārium, from Latin lārdum, bacon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)