from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cabinet or enclosed recess for linens, household supplies, or clothing.
- n. A small private chamber, as for study or prayer.
- n. A water closet; a toilet.
- n. A state of secrecy or cautious privacy: Two days before the election, the candidate suddenly came out of the closet and denounced the proposed law.
- transitive v. To enclose or shut up in a private room, as for discussion: closeted themselves with their attorneys.
- adj. Private; confidential: closet information.
- adj. Being so or engaging only in private; secret: a closet proponent of a tax increase; a closet alcoholic.
- adj. Based on theory and speculation rather than practice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A piece of furniture or a cabinet in which clothes or household supplies may be stored.
- n. A small private chamber.
- n. A toilet; a water closet.
- n. The imagined closet in idioms such as in the closet or skeleton in the closet, a place to keep things hidden.
- adj. Secret.
- v. To shut away for private discussion.
- v. To put into a private place for a secret interview or interrogation.
- v. To shut up in, or as in, a closet for concealment or confinement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small room or apartment for retirement; a room for privacy.
- n. A small apartment, or recess in the side of a room, for household utensils, clothing, etc.
- transitive v. To shut up in, or as in, a closet; to conceal.
- transitive v. To make into a closet for a secret interview.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small room or apartment for retirement; any room for privacy; a small supplementary apartment communicating with another, as a dressing-room with a bedroom; hence, in religious literature, the place or habit of devotional seclusion.
- n. A small side room or inclosed recess for storing utensils, clothing, provisions, curiosities, etc.
- n. A bedroom.
- n. A secret place; a place for the storing of precious things.
- n. An inclosed or inside part.
- n. In heraldry, a diminutive of the bar, one half of its width.
- Restricted, as to a closet; pertaining to or done in privacy or seclusion; suitable to or designed for private consideration or use; private; secluded: as, a closet conference or intrigue; closet reflections; a closet book or picture.
- Intimate; sharing one's privacy.
- Fitted only for seclusion or the privacy of a scholar; not adapted to the conditions of a practical life; merely theoretical; unpractical: as, a closet philosopher or theory.
- To inclose or shut up, as in a closet or close compartment.
- To admit into or as into a closet, as for concealment or for private and confidential or clandestine consultation: used chiefly in the past participle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. confine to a small space, as for intensive work
- n. a tall piece of furniture that provides storage space for clothes; has a door and rails or hooks for hanging clothes
- n. a toilet in Britain
- n. a small private room for study or prayer
- n. a small room (or recess) or cabinet used for storage space
The lever action in my closet is a Marlin 39 AS I inherited from him.
Push a gay person to a point of shame and self-denial — the closet is a far worse place than you can imagine, and leads to far more destructive behavior than you realize.
Not to continue to invoke the hallowed name of Buffy, but the care with which Joss Whedon brought Willow into college life and then out of the closet is a good model to follow.
It seems that hiding in the closet is also a genetic trait.
"Glossy washable enamel on the doors, except the outside of the closet is all mirror" answered Myra.
Hanging them in the closet is the best way to make space for new boys.
Some bedrooms include a walk-in closet, an en-suite bathroom and views of the bay.
The front door, like the closet, is a vintage subway-car component purchased from the Metropolitan Transit Authority.
A walk-in closet has been described by the Indianapolis Star as "larger than most living rooms."
One bedroom has a walk-in closet of sufficent size to be converted into a nursery if needed.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.