from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A loose short-sleeved gown opening in the back, worn by patients undergoing medical treatment or examination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A condom.
- n. An inexperienced new worker, usually an immigrant.
- n. A gown with a back opening closed with snaps or ties, worn by hospital patients.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A familiar diminutive of john.
- n. A sculpin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. [capitalized] A diminutive of the name John.
- n. In ichthyology, a cottoid fish, Oligocottus maculosus, with a naked skin, slender head narrowed above, and pointed snout. It is a small species, very abundant along the western coast of the United States.
- n. Among sailors, a kind of penguin, Pygoscelis tæniata.
- n. The fish Etheostoma nigrum, a kind of darter.
- n. A hanger-on about a theater.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. `Johnny' was applied as a nickname for Confederate soldiers by the Federal soldiers in the American Civil War; `greyback' derived from their grey Confederate uniforms
From the name Johnny, nickname for John.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)