from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Afghanistan; Afghan.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Afghanistan; an Afghan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A citizen or native of Afghanistan. From an Afghan point of view this name is wrongly being used for Afghans. After the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan millions of Afghans took refuge in neighboring Pakistan and Iran. The Pakistanis and the international aid agencies coined this word to speak of Pakistanis versus the Afghans.
- n. A monetary currency used in Afghanistan, divided into 100 pul. See afghani.
- adj. Of or relating to Afghanistan, its people, or its language.
Pashto afghānī, from afghān, Afghan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)