from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sacred or holy place.
- n. A private place where one is free from intrusion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A place set apart, as with a sanctum sanctorum; a private retreat or workroom. A sacred or private place.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sacred place; hence, a place of retreat; a room reserved for personal use.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sacred place; a private retreat or room: as, an editor's sanctum.
- n. Any specially private place or retreat, not to be entered except by special permission or favor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sacred place of pilgrimage
- n. a place of inviolable privacy
Late Latin sānctum, from Latin, neuter of sānctus, sacred; see sanctify.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin sānctum ("that which is holy"). (Wiktionary)