from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A coffin.
- n. A small case or chest, as for jewels and other valuables.
- transitive v. To enclose in a case, chest, or coffin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A little box, e.g. for jewellery.
- n. An urn.
- n. A coffin.
- v. To put into, or preserve in, a casket.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small chest or box, esp. of rich material or ornamental character, as for jewels, etc.
- n. A kind of burial case.
- n. Anything containing or intended to contain something highly esteemed.
- n. The body.
- n. The tomb.
- n. A book of selections.
- n. A gasket. See gasket.
- transitive v. To put into, or preserve in, a casket.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To put into a little chest.
- n. See casquet.
- n. A small chest or box for jewels or other small articles.
- n. A fanciful name applied to a book consisting of a number of selected literary or musical pieces: as, a casket of literary gems.
- n. A coffin, especially a costly one: used as a softened synonym of coffin.
- n. A stalk or stem.
- n. Same as gasket.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small and often ornate box for holding jewels or other valuables
- n. box in which a corpse is buried or cremated
- v. enclose in a casket
We should be fairly certain that the person in the casket is a MAN not a boy or a woman.
I want your demise to occur in a sloppy sort of way that forces a closed casket funeral -- and the casket is the size of an Altoids tin because that's all it took to hold what the cops scraped off the walls.
After leaving the Capitol, the casket is to proceed to Arlington National Cemetery, where Kennedy will be buried, 95 feet south of the grave of his brother Sen. Robert Kennedy, which is in turn just steps away from the burial site of his brother, former President John F. Kennedy.
The modern metallic burial casket is a step in the same direction, and many a dead man who ought now to be ornamenting his neighbors lawn as a tree, or enriching his table as a bunch of radishes, is doomed to a long inutility.
Funeral: Yeardley Love's casket is taken into a Baltimore church.
The man in the casket is jack. the other jack is a clone created by jacob who is secretly a steam engine. in the very frist episode, we see lots of naked girls kissing eachother.
The Big Bopper's casket is to be auction on eBay in the next few weeks.
The metal casket is apparently in decent condition with just a bit of rust and water damage.
I watch, as men load a tiny, white satin casket with tassels into a black, shiny hearse.
The casket is listed as are a bunch of other cool, cutting edge gadgets.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.