from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large medal.
- n. An emblem of registration for a taxicab.
- n. Any of various large ancient Greek coins.
- n. Something resembling a large medal, as:
- n. An oval or circular design used as decoration.
- n. A painting or an engraving set in an oval or circular frame.
- n. A circular portion of food, especially a boneless cut of meat: medallions of veal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large medal, usually decorative.
- n. A cut of meat resembling a medallion.
- n. A round or oval frame (often made of Stucco) which contains a plastic or pictorial decoration of a facade, an interior, a piece of furniture or equipment.
- n. A circular certificate used in some places to register a vehicle, especially a taxicab.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large medal or memorial coin.
- n. A circular or oval (or, sometimes, square) tablet bearing a figure or figures represented in relief.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A medal of large size.
- n. Anything resembling the classical medallion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a circular helping of food (especially a boneless cut of meat)
- n. any of various large ancient Greek coins
- n. an emblem indicating that a taxicab is registered
- n. an award for winning a championship or commemorating some other event
This medallion is the second PSWCS has produced and sold for charitable efforts.
But that medallion is headed out again and I'm not about to jinx its mojo by doing something so unnecessary as cleaning it.
I consider myself a fairly well grounded person, but the medallion is one place where I will not try to logically put aside my superstitions and "hinky feelings."
THIS proposal would require grocery stores to purchase a medallion from a liquor store in order to be able to sell wine.
The proposed 3 year moratorium that a supermarket cannot get a license without buying a medallion is news to me.
A venison medallion is a 1 ⁄ 2 - to 3 ⁄ 4-inch slice of backstrap cut before or after cooking.
96 494/2 The medallion is lighted from the front ...
Dr. Diamandis will receive a $500,000 award, a gold Heinlein medallion and a replica of the Lady Vivamus sword (from Heinlein’s novel Glory Road) at a ceremony to be held in Houston, Texas on July 7, 2006.
The medallion is the only thing to tell two versions apart.
Local historians are trying to save the building, but seems to be settling for the more realistic goal of saving the medallion, which is certainly a one of a kind bit of decoration.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.