from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A vase of varying size and shape, usually having a footed base or pedestal.
- n. A closed metal vessel having a spigot and used for warming or serving tea or coffee.
- n. Botany The spore-bearing part of a moss capsule.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a vase with a footed base
- n. a metal vessel for serving tea or coffee
- n. a vessel for ashes or cremains of a deceased person
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vessel of various forms, usually a vase furnished with a foot or pedestal, employed for different purposes, as for holding liquids, for ornamental uses, for preserving the ashes of the dead after cremation, and anciently for holding lots to be drawn.
- n. Fig.: Any place of burial; the grave.
- n. A measure of capacity for liquids, containing about three gallons and a haft, wine measure. It was haft the amphora, and four times the congius.
- n. A hollow body shaped like an urn, in which the spores of mosses are contained; a spore case; a theca.
- n. A tea urn. See under Tea.
- transitive v. To inclose in, or as in, an urn; to inurn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of vase, usually rather large, having an oviform or rounded body with a foot; by extension (since the ashes of the dead were formerly put into such vessels), any receptacle for the dead body or its remains.
- n. A place of burial; a grave.
- n. A Roman measure for liquids, containing one half the amphora.
- n. A tea-urn.
- n. In botany, the hollow vessel in which the spores of mosses are produced; the sporogonium or spore-case; the theca. See cut under moss.
- n. In the Dicyemida, specifically, a cup-like part of the infusoriform embryo of a rhombogenous dicyemid, consisting of a capsule, a lid, and contents. See Dicyemida, and cut under Dicyema.
- To inclose in an urn, or as in an urn; inurn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large vase that usually has a pedestal or feet
- n. a large pot for making coffee or tea
Middle English urne, from Latin urna.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin urna ("vessel"). (Wiktionary)