American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A refractory brick, usually made of fire clay, used for lining furnaces, fireboxes, chimneys, or fireplaces.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A brick made of material which will not fuse readily in a kiln or furnace: used for lining furnaces, etc.
- n. a brick capable of withstanding high temperatures without deforming.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a refractory brick, capable of sustaining intense heat without fusion, usually made of fire clay or of siliceous material, with some cementing substance, and used for lining fire boxes, etc.
- n. a brick made of fire clay, used for lining e.g. furnaces and chimneys.
- n. brick made of fire clay; used for lining e.g. furnaces and chimneys
“Typically, firebrick has a more yellowish colour and is more ceramic in appearance with little or no porosity to the brick.”
“NOAH ADAMS: A small white house, a work shed and sales room, stacks of firewood around, a 30-foot-long kiln made from firebrick - here is the potter.”
“PS - loved the firebrick one daisybones on March 04, 2008”
“The top of my firebrick kiln AF-99 is always warm and just hanging out, wishing that it could be of use too.”
“I gave that up a couple years later when somebody slipped a firebrick in on me ...”
“The technique uses factory-built fireplaces that are lined with standard firebrick and look like masonry fireplaces.”
“Mushtaq made his knives using the lowest of low-tech methods in a traditional manner, hammering and forging the high-carbon tool steel by hand, using gas-fed firebrick ovens and open fires and anvils and suchlike that would have been at home back in the dawn of space flight, even before.”
“Right now, the power train stops at the big flywheel, but the engine is complete, and Yarrl has fired up the boiler at low temperatures several times to help temper the firebrick.”
“The wiry young man has never mentioned his abilities to sense the level of heat within the firebrick, or the order within the iron, nor does he intend to, not after his brief visit in Fairhaven.”
“It consists of a firebrick-lined steel drum resting on rolers.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘firebrick’.
Words and phrases containing fire.
Beautiful words for the things we sense.
Vendors can get oddly creative.
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
A big list of color names for use on wordrainbow.com
Looking for tweets for firebrick.