from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flat slab of stone used as a paving material.
- n. An evenly layered sedimentary rock that can be split into paving stones.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flat, rectangular piece of rock or stone used for paving or roofing.
- n. One of several types of rock easily split and suitable for making flagstones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flat stone used in paving, or any rock which will split into such stones. See flag, a stone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A grit or sandstone naturally separating in layers of suitable thickness for flagging; any rock which splits or is capable of being readily split into tabular plates or flags.
- n. A flat stone used in paving.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stratified stone that splits into pieces suitable as paving stones
Sorry, no etymologies found.