from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flat slab of stone used as a paving material.
- n. An evenly layered sedimentary rock that can be split into paving stones.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flat, rectangular piece of rock or stone used for paving or roofing.
- n. One of several types of rock easily split and suitable for making flagstones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flat stone used in paving, or any rock which will split into such stones. See flag, a stone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A grit or sandstone naturally separating in layers of suitable thickness for flagging; any rock which splits or is capable of being readily split into tabular plates or flags.
- n. A flat stone used in paving.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stratified stone that splits into pieces suitable as paving stones
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I followed it until it passed through a natural bottleneck, then improvised a deadfall trap by prying a flagstone from the ground, which was not quite frozen, and whittling a trigger from dead sticks.
Laja comes in three common types: Laja de Sous is a local flagstone which is the least expensive but rather thin at times.
The concrete grinding on the adult pool is complete and they appear to be laying some kind of flagstone down; I only saw one guy doing over the last 4 days, so unless he gets some help, hard to see how this will be complete by month's end.
By the way, I do not mean that the sons carry on the "flagstone" business), "and he owned tew or t'ree boots and stored 'em hisself.
"Look at these carpets," she says as we trundle along the ancient flagstone floors traversing antique Persian rugs.
The 10,000-square-foot home is on 500 acres of land in Calistoga and includes three bedrooms, three-and-a-half bathrooms, a guesthouse and caretaker's unit, a private pond, a bocce ball court, an olive farm, a skeet-shooting range, a professional grade equestrian stable, a full-size basketball court and a sun-drenched pool surrounded by flagstone and offering an unbelievable view of Knights Valley.
Houlihan Lawrence A large flagstone terrace overlooks a private lake.
There's a large flagstone terrace that overlooks the lake.
Woodstock Bookshop 23 Oxford Street, Woodstock, Oxon OX20 1TH, 01993 812760With its beautiful bay window and flagstone floor, this could be the quintessential English bookshop, so it's surprising to learn that it's only functioned as such for the past three years.
Despite the Cotswold stone, Dickensian shopfront and flagstone floors, the books spilling out from every corner will bring you right back to the present.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.