from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The art or science of good eating.
- n. A style of cooking, as of a particular region.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of the relationship between food and culture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art or science of good eating; epicurism; the art of good cheer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art of preparing and serving rich or delicate and appetizing food; hence, the pleasures of the table; epicurism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the art and practice of choosing and preparing and eating good food
- n. a particular style of cookery (as of a region)
French gastronomie, from Greek gastronomiā : gastro-, gastro- + -nomiā, -nomy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French gastronomie from the Greek gastronómia, from Ancient Greek γαστήρ (gastér, "stomach") and νόμος (nómos, "knowledge, law"). Surface analysis is gastro- (“cooking”) + -nomy (“a system of rules or laws about a particular field”). (Wiktionary)