from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An official list or catalog of religious martyrs, especially of Christian martyrs.
- n. An account of the life and manner of death of a martyr.
- n. The branch of ecclesiastical history or hagiography that deals with martyrs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A catalogue or list of martyrs (or, more precisely, of saints), arranged in the order of their anniversaries.
- n. The story of the deaths of several famous Rabbis (including Rabbi Akiva) by Romans, read both on Yom Kippur and Tisha b'Av.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A history or account of martyrs; a register of martyrs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The history of the lives, sufferings, and death of Christian martyrs.
- n. Pl. martyrologies (-jiz). A book containing such history; specifically, in the Roman Catholic Church, a list or calendar of martyrs, arranged according to the succession of their anniversaries, and including brief accounts of their lives and sufferings.
martyr + -ology or from Latin martyrologium. (Wiktionary)