from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Variant of Muhammadan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Muslim.
- adj. Muslim, Islamic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Mohammed, or the religion and institutions founded by Mohammed; in the latter sense, synonymous with Islamic, the term preferred by Moslems.
- n. A follower of Mohammed, the founder of Islam (also called Islamism or Mohammedanism); an adherent of Islam; one who professes Mohammedanism or Islamism; a Muslim; a Moslem; a Musselman; -- this term is used mostly by non-Moslems, and some Moslems find it offensive.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to Mohammed, or Mahomet (about a. d. 570 to 632), the founder of the Moslem religion, and after his flight from Mecca (622) the creator of the realm which grew into the Saracenic empire; pertaining to the religious and social system founded by Mohammed.
- n. A follower of Mohammed, the founder of the Moslem religion; one who professes Mohammedanism; a Moslem or Mussulman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a follower of Mohammed
- adj. of or relating to the Arabian prophet Muhammad or to the religion he founded
Mohammed + -an, coined in the 17th century. (Wiktionary)