from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A believer in or adherent of Islam.
- n. A member of the Nation of Islam; a Black Muslim.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to believers of Islam.
- n. A person who is a follower and believer of the Islamic faith.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- See Moslem.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as Moslem.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or supporting Islamism
- n. a believer in or follower of Islam
Arabic muslim, one who surrenders, active participle of 'aslama, to surrender; see Islam.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic مُسْلِمٌ (múslimun, "one who submits"), the participle of أسْلَمَ (ʼáslama, "he submitted"), verb form IV from the triliteral root S-L-M "to be whole, intact". The related term إسْلامٌ (’islāmun) means literally "submission". In a religious sense, al-Islām translates to "faith, piety", and Muslim to "one who has (religious) faith or piety". (Wiktionary)