from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of Islam that accepts the first four caliphs as rightful successors of Muhammad.
- n. A Muslim belonging to this branch; a Sunnite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The branch of Islam based on the Qur'an, the Kutub al-Sittah (and other hadiths) and that places emphasis on the sahaba.
- n. A follower of that belief.
- adj. Related to the Sunni branch of Islam.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An orthodox Moslem; a Sunnite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the branch of Islam that accepts the first four caliphs as rightful successors to Muhammad
- n. one of the two main branches of orthodox Islam
Arabic sunnī, adherent of the Sunna, from sunna, customary practice, tradition; see Sunna.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic سنة (súnna) (Sunna) (Wiktionary)