from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Muslim physician.
- n. A Muslim ruler, provincial governor, or judge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A doctor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A wise man; a physician, esp. a Mohammedan.
- n. A Mohammedan title for a ruler; a judge.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wise or learned man; specifically, a physician.
- n. In Mohammedan countries, a governor, as of a province.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Muslim physician
- n. a Muslim ruler or governor or judge
Arabic ḥakīm, wise, wise man, from ḥakama, to judge, decide; see ḥkm in Semitic roots.
Arabic ḥākim, active participle of ḥakama, to decide, govern; see ḥkm in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic حكيم ("wise, learned"). (Wiktionary)