from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Muslim woman of rank.
- n. Used as a form of address for such a woman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a high ranking Muslim woman, especially in India and Pakistan
- n. the form of address for such a woman
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In the East Indies, a princess or lady of high rank.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To daub or cover with gum.
- n. The title of a Hindu princess or lady of high rank.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Muslim woman of high rank in India or Pakistan
Urdu begam, from East Turkic begüm, first person sing. possessive of beg, master, mistress; see bey.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Urdu بیگم and Hindi बेगम (begam, "lady"), from East Turkic begüm (Wiktionary)